Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Current Movie Review: SELMA

We got up early and caught the matinee show of the new American historical drama film, SELMA. It recounts the actual events surrounding Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s civil rights protest march to the Edmund Pettus Bridge, in 1965, and, later, his march to the Alabama State Capitol in Montgomery to end the third march from Selma. There's been controversy raised about the film's historical accuracy, which I haven't been really following. I wanted to watch a good movie, and that's what I got for my ticket money. I haven't seen American Sniper playing in the next theater, so I don't have a basis of comparison, but I have to wonder about David Oyelowo getting passed over for the Academy Award nominations. Though SELMA carries a PG-13 rating, some of the protest scenes are a little brutal and bloody. I remember the events taking place, though I was a kid, at the time. The movie grabbed my attention from the start, and I was never unengaged during its 2 hours, 7 minutes runtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.