Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Two Heads Are Better Than One To Solve A Cozy Mystery

When I wrote my P.I. Frank Johnson Mystery Series (the latest and seventh title is After the Big Noise), I used one protagonist to do all the work of solving the mystery, usually a murder. Then I wrote the Isabel and Alma Trumbo Sister Cozy Mystery Series. Suddenly, I had to share the spotlight, so to speak, between the two protagonists. I aimed to give each lady sleuth an equal billing without one overshadowing the other. It was a balancing act, in fact. Isabel is the quiet and reserved sister while Alma is younger and also more outspoken. Their different personalities have assisted me in giving them the same amount of dialogue. They usually appear in the same scenes together although each has also had their own moments alone. I like each of the sisters, so it's easy to switch between them when I'm writing their books. Their latest cozy mystery title (#3) is The Amber Top Hat. I've written each cozy title as a stand alone, so the readers can pick up any title without having to know what all has happened before it in order to enjoy the story. I hope you'll join Isabel and Alma on their sleuthing adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.