Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2015

In Celebration of the Small Towns at Christmas

Marion Post Wolcott is one of the unsung heroes among the professional photographers. She had an amazing eye for capturing the right moment on film. I came across her work years ago, and this public domain photo she took in 1940 has to be one of my favorites. It evokes just the right holiday nostalgia of a Vermont small town. If you look closely, you can spot a Christmas tree framed by the second-story window. 1940 was a dark time in our nation's history, but this single time and place looks serene and peaceful to me. The sidewalks are shoveled off, and the street is clear enough to drive through if you had some place to be. It looks like a movie scene out of It's A Wonderful Life. I grew up in a small town, and the setting intrigues me. Right now, I'm working on a new cozy mystery series I'll be bringing out in 2016. The small town is Sweet Springs, Virginia. If you're familiar with and enjoy my Isabel & Alma Trumbo cozies ([book:Quiet Anchorage|10530870] begins the series), then my Sweet Springs cozies should also appeal to you. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.