Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tuesday's Overlooked Films: Where Danger Lives Starring Robert Mitchum

Since I'll be busy this week with my writing projects, I went ahead and posted my Tuesday Overlooked Films blog today. This neat, twisty film noir released in 1950 stars Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue (in her film debut), and the always solid Claude Rains. Maureen O'Sullivan (the director's wife and better known for her role as Jane in the Tarzan movies) plays Mitchum's love interest waiting for him back in San Francisco. The dark-haired Domergue plays a wonderfully crazy femme fatale, and Mitchum is her doctor and then lover. They bump off Claude Rains playing her husband. Then our desperate lovers lam off for Mexico (where else do killers go?) to avoid the police dragnet trying to catch them. I saw shades of Robert Mitchum's classic Out of the Past in this movie, especially with the femme fatale roles. While our lovers wait to get across the border into Mexico, Mitchum begins to see what a nut job he has gotten involved with, but it's almost too late. I'm not sure why but he always seems to get hooked up with these batty women. Mitchum's concussion & subsequent paralysis, among other things, is a bit much to swallow, but the acting is raw and well-done. John Farrow who directed Where Danger Lives is actress Mia Farrow's father who has had her share of life problems. Where Danger Lives is a terrific film noir that I intend to watch again soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.