Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tuesday's Forgotten Movies: Ministry of Fear Directed by Fritz Lang

I've been a big fan of Director Fritz Lang's movies for some time, and I never pass up the chance to watch a new one (for me, at least) like Ministry of Fear based on Graham Greene's novel. Throw in the talented Dan Duryea playing a bit role, and I've simply got to watch it. I wasn't disappointed in this atmospheric espionage drama involving Nazi spies, desired objects smuggled in baked cakes, and a most odd first editions bookstore. Ray Milland plays a likeable protagonist, and the lovely Marjorie Reynolds is his romantic interest. Lang does some artful things with the camerawork, and the pace moves right along. I haven't read Greene's book, so I don't know how faithfully the movies follows his work of fiction. While Ministry of Fear doesn't rate as high as the classic The Third Man (Greene wrote the screenplay, then the novel) does, I enjoyed watching it just the same. You might, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.