Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

The Firefly Days of Summer Are Here Again

The other evening, I went downstairs and noticed a bunch of tiny sparks of light floating in air just outside our patio glass door. I knew the fireflies were back and flying around with their strange but fascinating ability to make their bodies glow in the dark. I've heard them also called lightning bugs and tinsel bugs. You might have your own name for them. Anyway, it wasn't quite dark yet with the long days of June here, maybe around eight-thirty or so. They remind me of E.T.'s glowing fingertip. When I was a kid, the fireflies were lots of fun to watch and try to catch in a Mason jar. I guess they intrigue all kids, even those who aren't bug fans. I live in the suburbs now, so I'm glad and grateful the fireflies are still around to watch and remind me of my misspent youth. Nowadays, I just let the fireflies be and enjoy watching their glimmering ritual for a couple of weeks, if that, each summer about this time. Are you a firefly fan? Or are they found in your corner of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.