Pages

Friday, October 2, 2015

Enjoy the Fun and Humor in My New Cozy Mystery SWEET BETSY

I've always tried to write funny scenes and dialogue in my commercial novels. It wasn't until I took up writing cozy mysteries that I could write more humor in my long fiction. One of my favorite comedy bits is the one with Tim Conway as the dentist taking care of a patient with a sore tooth played by Harvey Korman. It ran on one of the Carol Burnett TV shows, and I believe you can find it posted on YouTube by using the search function. At any rate, I bet a lot of it is Tim Conway ad-libbing in the bit just to make Harvey Korman laugh. Another comedy inspiration I've found is the old Marx Brother movies, especially with the scenes involving Harpo. Some of their work is over-the-top and silly, but I get a laugh out watching them. In [book: Sweet Betsy|26542593], Alma digs up a bone in their flowerbed, and she believes it's human. Meantime, Isabel swears up and down it's a dinosaur bone. An earnest but lighthearted debate follows. I don't know if the humor works, but it's the silly situation I use to kick off their new murder mystery. You can read the scene through the Goodreads Preview button located just beneath the front cover on the [book: Sweet Betsy|26542593] Goodreads page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.