Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

American Soldiers And Their War Brides

 Recently, I watched the 1951 war romance film titled "Teresa" directed by Fred Zinnemann (High Noon) and starring Pier Angeli and John Ericson. Ralph Meeker, Rod Steiger (debut), and James Coburn (uncredited) also starred in it. The premise was straightforward enough. Ericson played an American G.I. stationed in World War Two-Italy where he falls in love with the village young lady Angeli. Of course, they want to get married, and that's where I was surprised. The village priest marries them, and Ericson marches off to fight the war with his unit while Angeli waits for him. At the war's end, he ships home with the other American G.I.s, and she arrives later, after the official paperwork clears, with a bunch of other war brides. They are reunited. I knew the America G.I.s married the foreign women they met while in uniform and fighting, but I didn't realize it happened while the war still went going on. I'll have to do a little more reading on the point when I get a chance. Anyway, the movie "Teresa" was entertaining enough. Review to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.