Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

I Marked My Calendar: Spring Training Begins February 19th

Every winter right about this time in blah February, my thoughts turn to the commencement of spring training. You don't have to be a fan of major league baseball (MLB) to be on the lookout for it. Spring training is one of the true signs of spring. While I'm shoveling the next load of fallen snow off my driveway and sidewalks (we live on a corner lot with more than one), I think of those guys down in sunny, balmy Florida (the Citrus League) or Arizona (the Cactus League). Of course, they're working and not playing around or loafing like I'd be doing. Still, it's nice to imagine being in a place without any cold, ice, and snow. This year the Washington Nationals have their pitchers and catchers reporting for duty on February 19th, which falls on the Thursday after Ash Wednesday. I circled the day on my calendar a couple of months ago as if I would forget it. I don't even think much ahead to the summer season when they play the sport. Right now, just basking vicariously in the Florida or Arizona sun is good enough for me. "Let's play two," the great Ernie Banks who sadly just passed away used to say. I like keeping around that positive attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.