Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Don't Overlook The Cheap Source of Paperbacks: Your Library Discards

Every year, U.S. public libraries cull out the older books from their collections. All the libraries probably follow this weeding out procedure, but I can only speak to the U.S. public libraries and also just about novels since they are what I write and publish. I've had discussions with different librarians, and they explain weeding out their collections is necessary.

There is only so much shelf space, and the new books are getting published all the time. I can understand what they are saying (library collection management), so I accept what has to be with good humor. Interestingly, however, I've discovered there is also a side benefit created for the authors and readers alike. In other words, it's win-win.

The library discarded books are often sold at a drastic discount. As a writer, I see my novels get resold so more potential readers can afford them to read. Of course, I won't make any money off the resales, but maybe I gain even one new reader, always a positive thing. The readers, in turn, can pick up inexpensive reads and stretch their book-purchasing dollars further. Our library puts its discarded library books in bins and shelves located near the door. The books aren't like brand new, but they are decent reading copies. Plus even the discarded hardbacks will still hold up with use and handling.

I've read where some libraries donate the proceeds they raise from the discard sales to the local literacy programs. That's pretty cool. I can't imagine getting by in the world if I didn't know how to read. Literacy sounds like a good topic for a different topic.

If you're also an ebook reader, like me, the library discards may not impact you as much. On the other hand, I don't know if libraries will ever "discard" ebooks in the future. Somebody smarter than me may know the answer to that question.

Meantime happy reading, be it ink either on paper or digital screen.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.