Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

This intriguing 1956 film noir stars Raymond Burr and Natalie Wood, both seen in this publicity photo taken from the movie. Burr plays a mama's boy rogue, and Wood becomes his nubile but feisty captive. The movie was adapted from the crime novel A Cry in the Night by Whit Masterson, the psuedonym for the Edgar Award-winning writing duo of Bob Wade and Bill Miller based in San Diego. They also wrote first-rate crime noirs under the pen name Wade Miller. As a personal aside, Bob Wade reviewed my private eye novel The Blue Cheer for the San Diego Union-Tribune a few years ago. Getting back to the movie, it follows the book pretty faithfully, and I give the movie a thumbs up. It's more of a police procedural drama than a typical film noir. Edmond O'Brien plays the kidnapped Wood's overprotective police captain father, and he turns in a restrained performance. I've seen him in other flicks where he's a bit too over-the-top for me. The always reliable Brian Donlevy is O'Brien's police captain friend. Burr who've I've seen play the villain in a few movies now comes across as creepy yet vulnerable in this deranged role. Of course, all this action is seen through the 1950s' prism which is a bit dated when viewed today. Portraying the parents' overbearing attitudes wouldn't fly in this day and age. IMDb.com gives A Cry In The Night a 6.1/10.0, but I like the film's pedigree, so I'm going with a 7.0. It runs 75 minutes, not a bad way to pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.