Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Movie Review: "42"

I've been wanting to see 42 for a good while, and it was everything I could ever hope for, and plenty more. The film tells the story of Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) and his 1947 rookie year playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers and breaking the racial color barrier in MLB. Dodgers owner Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) offers Jackie a $600 contract with $3,500 signing bonus, and he accepts it. The film's baseball scenes are well done depicting Jackie's scrappy hustle and tremendous baseball talent. Of course, he went on to do other great things. Chadwick Boseman is sensitive while tough as Jackie. I have a new respect for Harrison Ford who does a convincing crusty and wise Branch Rickey. I was glad to see Max Gail from the Barney Miller TV cop sitcom (loved that show) play the Dodgers manager. The 2+ hour movie flew by for me, so it gets my high recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.