Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Film Noir Review: Black Angel Starring Dan Duryea



I watched this 1946 film noir for two reasons: one, I like Cornell Woolrich's noirs (the movie is based on his novel also titled The Black Angel), and two, I'm becoming a big Dan Duryea fan. I wasn't disappointed either. The storyline uses Woolrich's famous plot twists and rich irony. Peter Lorre turns in a convincing performance as the sleazy night club owner. Duryea is an alcoholic pianist/songwriter who is rescued by the wife of a man who is on death row for the murder of Duryea's wife. How is all this and more pulled off? Watch the film and find out is the best I can tell you. I don't think I've read the Woolrich novel, so I don't know closely the movie adaptation follows it. June Vincent playing the wife does a good job of standing by her man going to the gas chamber even when Duryea tries to romance her. I see on Wikipedia that Woolrich didn't care much for the movie. IMDb.com rates Black Angel as a 7.0/10.0, but I believe it deserves a higher consideration.

I saw this crisp, clear version of Black Angel on YouTube at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs4QLHLC--s
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.