Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Are You Also a Social Media (De)Lurker?

Are you a lurker? My hand goes up. We're not alone if yours did, too. A 2011 study shows 90% of individuals on the different social media platforms don't participate directly in the discouse held there, but are content to "lurk" and read the content created. 9% of that 10% only occasionally contribute (that is they "delurk") while the hardcore 1% carry most of the load (see the study at: http://blog.case.org/2011/03/social-media-lurkers.html). That's a surprisingly large percentage (99%) to me. I still subscribe to several online mystery fiction groups, including DorothyL. I know I don't contribute nearly as much as I once did. My blog (like my writing here now), twitter, Facebook, Google+, and Goodreads have all stolen away my time spent on the mystery fiction messageboards. On the other hand, I tweet quite often, and my blog posts usually appear daily. It boils down to the amount of time I budget for my online presence versus my freelance and fiction writing time. I've met and got to know many nice people through social media and gained some loyal readers of my novels, so it's been worth it if considered in that respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.