Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

What's This New App Called SnapChat?

Their mascot is called Ghostface Chillah, a name taken from the rapper Ghostface Killah. Well, you've lost me right there. Anyway, I was curious about SnapChat after I heard a news report about teenagers leaving Facebook and using the newer apps such as SnapChat. I wondered if it might have some potential for promoting books to readers and fans, so I decided to investigate a little. The app is used to send pictures and videos to recipients with the key feature being the pictures and videos self-destruct after a few seconds. The data is impermanent since it also disappears from the SnapChat servers. I haven't used the app, so all of my reporting is based on what I've read. There has been a disturbing problem with sexting. I could see that happening easily enough. You can also add text and drawings to the pictures before sending them. Naturally this leads to a lot of goofy stuff going out, but it doesn't exist for long, so there's no fear of discovery by adults. I can see the cool factor of SnapChat. At any rate, I couldn't think of any useful way to promote books by using SnapChat. But it's still pretty new so who knows where the app might go? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.