Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Does Taking Down Fences Still Make Good Neighbors?

The well-known Robert Frost poem says good fences make good neighbors. This week I've been tearing down the old wood rail fence separating my lot from my next-door neighbor's property. The fence was part of the house and yard we bought more years ago than I care to remember. At the time, I told my neighbor, a likeable enough chap, my intention was to tear the fence down. He seemed noncommittal, maybe, in part, because he didn't want to have any part of the teardown effort. LOL. But then I had second thoughts since the fence didn't look all that bad, and after a few simple fix-its, the fence held its curb appeal. The past two snowy winters, however, have done their worst damage to the fence. The posts have rotted off at the ground. The rails have broken up. I haven't been able to rescue the fence. So, this spring I decided to pull the plug on what had become a definite eyesore. After getting it cleared away, the property line now has a bare look. As for my neighbor, I haven't seen him around to chat with. He's recently retired and looks to be doing upgrades to his residence, usually a sure sign it will be going on the real estate market soon. At any rate, I don't believe he'll be anything but relieved the fence between us for so many years has been finally retired, and it's one less headache for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.