Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Tuesday's Overlooked Films: The Hatchet Man

Edward G. Robinson stars as a Chinese "hatchet man" (i.e., hit man) in a San Francisco tong (i.e., gang). The 1932 movie was made before the Production Code went into effect, allowing the picture to include and show adultery, narcotics, and a gory hatchet that EGR wields with deadly impact. I liked this short picture even if the Chinese culture is filtered through the 1930s Hollywood prism. Of course, it is non-PC. The always reliable EGR is the main reason to watch The Hatchet Man if you are a fan of his work which I am. The romance angle in the plot works with a real nifty twist at the end. Loretta Young (I didn't even recognize her) plays EGR's young wife who is wooed by a smarmy young Chinese bodyguard (Leslie Felton). I wished some Asian actors (none are used) had appeared in the cast. Entertaining and fairly short, The Hatchet Man earns a 7.0/10.0 rating from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.