Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

One of My Excellent Wintertime Reads

I read where this past Sunday marks the halfway point between the last out of the World Series and the start of spring training for the 2014 baseball season. Every January, I get antsy and restless to watch baseball. At one time, I had hoped I might outgrow my baseball craze, but it has only gotten worse. So, one of my favorite wintertime reads is the biographies of baseball greats. Right now I'm reading The DiMaggios: Three Brothers, Their Passion for Baseball, Their Pursuit of the American Dream by Tom Clavin. It is a different type of biography in that it tells the stories of three brothers who made it to the big leagues, something not very many families can make the claim for doing. Joltin' Joe, of course, was the megastar with the New York Yankees who also married Marilyn Monroe. However, the other two brothers, Dominic and Vince, were standouts in their own ways. Dominic was one of the early baseball labor proponents, something today's well-paid MLB players should feel a debt of gratitude about. It is a breezy read other baseball fans might enjoy. So, reading the baseball biographies helps me to get through the cold winters until spring finally arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.