Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Tuesday's Overlooked Films: The Big Bluff

This so-so 1955 crime flick stars Martha Vickers who is the only name star I recognize from the cast of characters. The lady grifter Fritze is the vivacious Rosemarie Stack, the longtime wife of the late actor Robert Stack and who is apparently still living. W. Lee Wilder the director is the older brother of the famous director Billy Wilder (Double Indemnity, The Apartment). The former athlete John Bromfield plays a slick grifter teamed with Rosemarie who set out to fleece a rich New York City socialite out of her millions. The acting is somewhat wooden, the script not the greatest one, and the best thing going for the crime flick is the surprise ending. Sort of a disappointment to me because I've enjoyed Martha Vickers in other movies I've watched like The Burglar with Dan Duryea. If you have an hour to kill, I guess you spend it in worst ways. Maybe I'm being too hard in my comments, but I think a better lead actor could've pulled it off a little more convincing. From the comments I've read, the film has its fans and supporters. It might well appeal to you if you a film noir aficionado or completist. I just expected a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.