Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Do Good Fences Really Make Good Neighbors?

I don't know if I've blogged on fences before this post, but they've been on my mind of late, so I will again. This spring I tore down the rail fence surrounding our rear yard. Since the posts had rotted off in the dirt, the task was an easy one. I piled up the old rails and posts. The "new look" sort of was a naked one with the fence now gone. It wasn't a bad look, just a different one. I wasn't sure what my neighbor would think, but my dilapidated fence had become an eyesore. Still, it created a definite boundary between my property and his. We're talking about a grassy postage stamp here, not acres of ranch grazing land. On the other hand, some folks are territorial when it comes to their yards. Six-foot privacy fences are popular in our neighborhood. I can see the practical need and value for a fence such as if you are a pet owner or have small kids. Otherwise I consider them a liability. I personally don't like chain-link fences for a residence although some do, and that's fine with me. My neighbor did come out, and we chatted on our property line. He asked if I had plans to put up a new fence, and I said no. I don't know if he'll pay for having his own fence erected. I have no problems with it if he does. I did mention to him the 900 lbs. of fence debris, and its $27 disposal fee. Frankly, I'm just glad to be rid of the headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.