Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

New Movie Review: Frances Ha

This coming of age film concerns a spirited 27-year-old lady named Frances from NYC who is a dance apprentice with aspirations to join the main company and tour with them. In other words, she wants to get paid for what she loves doing. Hey, don't we all? It's more of a drama than a comedy although there are a number of funny lines. Frances Ha isn't my usual cup of tea, but I found it engaging and entertaining enough to stick with the main character. The plot rambles a bit, but then I guess that's the point as Frances tries to get her feet on the ground. Her closest friend and one-time roommate is Sophie who has her own set of dilemmas to grapple with. They seem to be peas in a pod they're so much alike. One of the themes most striking true for me was Frances' always being broke. I imagine the cost of living in NYC isn't real cheap. The actress playing Frances reminded me of a young Ellen DeGeneres. IMDb.com gives Frances Ha a 7.6/10.0 rating, and I believe that's a fair mark for the type of movie it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.