Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

You Learn Something New Every Day: Saltbox House

This might be a new feature--you learn something new every day--I'll be doing to my blog posts. I do a fair amount of research and checking on stuff while I'm writing my novels. The need has arisen because my readers want me to get it right, and I try as close as I can to do so.

For some reason, saltbox house came up today during my writing session. So, I decided to google it, and I ran across the link below to a Library of Congress page. It turns out I've seen saltbox houses (especially during my rural years) all my life, and I haven't known what they are called.

So technically, I didn't learn something new to me, but just found out what label is used to identify it. I don't know how practical or comfortable it is to live in a saltbox house, but I sure do dig its distinctive architecture.

This is especially true since I now reside in a 1970s neighborhood of all-alike split-levels using three or four basic colors. I suppose the developer had to keep the costs down. Not my complaint, just my observation. So, I give you the saltbox house.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/175_...
Saltbox house:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.