Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Revisiting My High School Leisure Reading List

One of the cool things about the internet is the online catalogs that libraries offer for running searches. I discovered my high school's library catalog is also online, so I thought I'd check to see if the books I read in high school are still on the library shelves. Why? Just for kicks. I remember I liked reading a bunch of Leon Uris novels like Exodus and QB VII. To my surprise and delight, both Uris titles are offered. There was a cool nonfiction book I read about some guy searching for Amelia Earhart's remains. Bummer, I can't find that title in the catalog. I also recollect poring over James Michener's Kent State: What Happened and Why. Kent State was on my mind a lot back then since I was headed off the college soon. I imagine a lot of students and parents worried about the same thing. My further browsing finds Ross Macdonalds' Great Stories of Suspense with his stories and other writers I enjoyed reading like Hammett and Cain. I'm thrilled to find it still on the shelf. I'm sure there were other books I checked out of the library, but I've forgotten them by now. Pity. Revisiting them now has been fun. What books do you remember borrowing from your high school library?      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.