Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Writer Using Real Name Or A Pseudonym?

Recently when I wrote and published my second cozy title The Cashmere Shroud in the Isabel and Alma Trumbo Mystery Series, I mulled over the decision of whether to write under a pen name or to use my given John Hancock. All of my previous books had been hardboiled or noirish crime titles. The exception was the pulpy science fiction title The Quetzal Motel I published a couple years back. I suspected there might be some reader confusion in the two different mystery subgenres (cozy vs. hardboiled). In the end, I opted to go with my real name because I personally don't like pen names. On the other hand, I think for the brilliant crime writers like the late Richard Stark/Donald Westlake the pen names work just fine. So far, I haven't gotten any feedback on the name confusion, so I'm happy with not going with a pen name. Further downstream, I may elect to use one if I write another title that is off the beaten path for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.