Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Which Of The Banned Books Have You Read?

This week has been designated as Banned Books Week, and with that theme in mind, I just wondered how many of the banned books (either past or present titles) I have read. The first title that springs to mind is D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover, and I don't really have a recall about much of the plot. However, I like Lawrence's rich prose style. John Grisham on "The Daily Show" in 2005 mentioned his A Time to Kill was banned, and I believe I have read it, too. Last week, the Randolph County Board of Education (NC) voted to ban Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man which shocks me. Richard Connell's The Most Dangerous Game was banned this year in a Colorado school which I remember reading and loving in the 9th grade. It's not great literature, but entertaining fiction for me back then. Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres got axed from a Texas reading list. I loved reading that title. Granted most of these titles were removed from high school reading lists, so the audience isn't an adult one, but it still surprises me. You may have your own banned book experience though I hope not. For a full list of the banned books in 2012-13, you can download a PDF document from following this link: http://www.ila.org/advocacy/banned-books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.