Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Stop Motion Sickness While Reading In A Moving Car

Whenever I ride as a passenger in a moving car and try to read a book or my Kindle, I experience the headache, disorientation, and nausea associated with motion sickness. It has something to do with a person's inner ear, and their peripheral vision losing touch with their surroundings while they fix their focus on the same spot. I had the same problem when I rode the school bus and wanted to use my free time to do my homework. I wondered if there are any tips to cope with this problem since I like to read as often as possible.

It is recommended the reader look up from their book once in awhile and gaze out the window to lessen the motion sickness. I've done this without much success. Peppermint Lifesavers or hard candy is suggested, and I believe peppermint helps me feel a little better.

Ginger is also a favored treatment, including drinking sips of ginger ale. Listening to your favorite music on the radio or MP3/CD player might be a good trick to distract you. Wearing motion sickness eyewear is also mentioned. It uses blinders that block off the passing landscape while you are reading. I have no idea if this really works or not.

Of course, if the book you are reading is engrossing enough, you'll forget your physical discomforts and want to finish it anyway. Happy reading over the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.