Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

What Is the Best Bargain You Ever Bought at a Flea Market?

I don't go around to garage sales and flea markets all that much. Back before the internet changed the book market, I used to visit used bookstores quite a bit looking for modern first editions. I bought a few Richard Brautigan firsts because I liked reading his Trout Fishing In America while I was in college. His other whimsical novels with their colorful titles never measured up, at least of the ones I ever read. So, I guess those purchases would have to count for me. I have passed by flea markets open for business, and the folks browsing there look as if they are enjoying the experience. I don't know if you can haggle over the prices charged at flea market, but I never did that for the used books I bought. I figured the courageous proprietor had a tough go of it already, so I just paid the full asking price. Besides I didn't want to see the used bookstores close up shop and leave town. I like having the local bookstores around. Sometimes I visited antique shops that also offered secondhand books among their wares. However, I don't recall ever buying a book there. Maybe I picked up a reading copy or two of the titles I thought I'd enjoy. Happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. I once bought a set of 4 commemorative coins in a plastic case for 25 cents at a garage sale. I took them to a coin dealer out of curiosity, and found that each coin was valued at $150.00 and up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.