Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tuesday's Forgotten Films: Sleep, My Love


This 1948 film noir/feature film is a different spin on the old make-my-wife-go-insane plot a la Gaslight which did it better. The acting is first-rate with Claudette Colbert, slick-talking Robert Cummings and Don Ameche playing the suave but evil husband who has the hots for the sultry Hazel Brooks (her debut film). The always solid Raymond Burr plays the burly NYC cop. Colbert at 45 seems a bit old for the wife's role, but I liked her gutsy performance. Keye Luke who played in the Charlie Chan movies is also featured. The familiar plot seems to run off the rails about halfway through, but I just stuck with the story because of the top quality actors. Leonard Maltin gives Sleep, My Love three out of four stars. That is my score, too, based on the acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.