Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

About Those "Treasures" Kept In Our Attics Or Garages

We like to watch the History Channel TV reality show PAWN STARS. Maybe you've watched it, too. The show's format is basically folks bring in their valuable treasures and try to sell them to the skeptical pawnbrokers. But not always. For instance, Richard "Old Man" Harrison on the show just loves getting silver and coins, but he usually turns away stuff like sports cards and political pins. He says the value on those kinds of items fluctuates so much. When I was a kid, I could buy packs of Topps baseball cards at any 7-Eleven. My friends did the same thing, and I suspect the other kids did also. The rule of supply and demand would mean there is plenty of supply but little demand for all those baseball cards today. In other words, I don't view my baseball cards as a good investment. As a kid's hobby, they were a lot of fun, but that was about it. I don't think I could persuade the "Pawn Stars" to buy my baseball cards (if I still had them) for a fabulous amount of money. So, I guess I'll keep looking in my attic for the real treasure, but I think it's going to be a long search for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.