Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

How Long to Wait Between Reading the Same Author's Books?

As a reader, I like to try and space out my reading the different books written by the same author. I have read in occasional streaks like I did with the classis crime fiction writers David Goodis, Charles Willeford, and Charles Williams in the past. Even so, I still didn't get to everything they produced which is good. That way I can still enjoy reading more of their work for the first time. If I give myself a break, I feel as if I don't "overdose" on a favorite author. Or maybe keeping the variety is important in my leisure, for-the-fun-of-it reading time. I have read the fiction output of such crime writers as Stephen Greenleaf, Ed Lacy, and Dennis Lynds (Michael Collins, creator of the P.I. Dan Fortune series) for author profiles I once did. It was interesting to see how their excellent writing evolved over time in their professional careers. At one time, prolific authors seemed to bring out a new book every year, and that was the accepted norm. Now in the age of instant publication of a few mouse clicks, the books are released at a faster clip. Maybe the readers still like to adhere to the yearly cycle of reading their favorite authors. That probably works out the best for my reading schedule. Happy reading during your holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.