Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Reading Preferences: Short or Long Sittings?

One morning this week I knew I had to leave to run an errand, and I was currently reading the new Gail Godwin book, Flora. Since I had enjoyed reading it the night before, I was keen on my getting back to it ASAP. Being uncharacteristically diligent, I still had ten minutes before I had to blast off. But ten minutes of free time is the ten minutes I won't get back again. So, I went ahead and plunged back into my reading. I had no trouble picking up where I'd put my bookmark and left off. All too soon, it was time to go, and I put aside the novel. While I was driving away, I got to thinking about my reading habits and wondered if I preferred a lot of short sittings to finish a book or a long marathon session of reading the book from cover to cover. I decided the former is more realistic for me, but I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to spend an entire day indulging a read. Matter of fact, I can't remember the last novel that I read from start to end with no interruptions except for eating my lunch and dinner. I did put in a long stretch of reading Michael Connelly's entertaining The Gods of Guilt not long ago. At any rate, I hope your holiday reading goes well, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.