Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday's Forgotten Films: The Glass Web Starring Edward G. Robinson

I enjoyed watching this 1953 film noir for several reasons. Edward G. Robinson turns in his usual sturdy performance. John Forsythe (the voice of the unseen Charlie in Charlie's Angels TV series two decades later) also does a creditable job. Finally, the setting is the early TV industry which I found intriguing. Forsythe plays a TV script writer producing shows for a realistic weekly crime program (Dragnet?). Robinson plays the conniving rsearcher who has a secret ambition to become the show's writer. Both men have an affair with the ruthless, ambitious femme fatale played by Kathleen Hughes who is a actress/model. I won't go further into the plot, just to say Robinson and Forsythe are pitted against each other. I see where this movie used the 3D technology which may have enhanced its viewing experience. The Glass Web skewers the upstart small screen thing known as television which was regarded as a direct competitor to the movie industry. There are some nice touches such as Hughes' clever cat in her apartment. IMDb.com gives The Glass Web 6.4/10.0 which I think is too low. I'd go with a solid 7.0 based on Robinson's performance which I always like to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.