Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Just Another Day in the Life of a Crime Fiction Writer

 This past week we got hit by an ice storm as did much of the nation. The falling tree branches snapped the electric lines, and our power went out for a few hours. So, I called over to our local branch of the public library and was told they had power. I packed up all my stuff and schlepped over to the library. I was fortunate enough to find the last workspace with an electrical outlet. I set up my laptop and commenced to work again on my next P.I. Frank Johnson title, AFTER THE BIG NOISE. Public school had also been cancelled for the day, and the parents who didn't take their kids off to the shopping mall instead decided to go to the library. Unfortunately, I had not anticipated this development. Seated directly behind me was a gruff-voiced father reading the children's nursery rhyme "Fuzzy Wuzzy" to his pre-schooler. Then he decided it would be a good idea to teach his pre-schooler how to read it. Of course, this activity took many readings of "Fuzzy Wuzzy." I didn't say anything, just gritted my teeth and continued working. Then I got to chuckling to myself. Hey, it wasn't really so bad, and the poem was sort of catchy. Pretty soon, I got an email from my wife that our electric power was back on, so I returned home, and everything was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.