Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Current Film Review: Blue Jasmine

Blue Jasmine is the latest film offering from Woody Allen who wrote and directed it. The film's release is what Wikipedia calls a "slow rollout" as was done with Allen's previous successful film Midnight in Paris which I saw and enjoyed. The distribution stragedy is supposed to generate more profits. Blue Jasmine didn't quite make the same grade for me as Midnight. None of the characters are very likeable. Beyond that, I won't go into why. One thing I liked was how deftly Allen segued between the back story and the present day narrative. Cate Blanchett turns in a strong performance as a sort Mrs. Bernie Madoff figure. Andrew Dice Clay as Cate's young sister's ex is also good in his role. Plus the jazz soundtrack sounds pretty snappy, too. The funny lines of dialogue are embedded throughout the movie, but Blue Jasmine isn't a romantic comedy. I'd give it a 7.0/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.