Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Play Scrabble, Anyone?

I made Isabel and Alma Trumbo, my two amateur sleuth sisters from my new and second cozy mystery title The Cashmere Shroud, big Scrabble fans because, in part, they actually were that in real life. They could play Scrabble with me all night if I was game (no pun intended) enough to hang in there with them. Playing was a fun time for them. The sisters grew up at a time when there was no TV or Twitter, so other diversions had to entertain them on the family farm. Their love of board games carried on into their adult lives. Today there are online Scrabble sites where fans can gather and play although I have never done so. Most of my time online is spent writing my different book projects. They knew all of the short but high-scoring words to spell out with the wooden tiles on the game board, especially the words beginning with the letter "Q" or "Z." I'm not sure how many times I won, but it wasn't very many when I played with them. After Isabel and Alma passed away, I got their old Scrabble game set. On occasion, my wife and I still play a round or two of Scrabble, and it reminds me of a younger time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.