Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

"Stay Calm and Read a Book"

I have run across this nifty slogan in various social media reader venues. I'm not sure how it originated, but I like the sentiment behind it. Last night I continued my reading a Richard Stark Parker series title, and got pulled into the story. Parker is a thief, and the one word I'd use to describe him is relentless. The man just won't quit. The series is more hard-boiled than noir because Parker always perseveres to live and fight another day. Anyway, I found myself distracted enough from that thing we call LIFE, and spent an enjoyable hour existing in Parker's world. I guess it is the distraction part the slogan addresses. For me, reading a book is more diverting than watching TV or going to the movies. Maybe reading engages the brain and imagination more. It is about the most relaxing activity I can do before hitting the sack. A variation of the slogan might say, "Chill Out and Read a Book." At any rate, there are plenty of books to use for staying calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.