Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Things You Can't Buy Anymore: Vinyl Long Play (LP) Albums (Sort Of)

I know limited run vinyl releases are still issued for music fans to purchase. Just yesterday, I read an article saying the New York City Public Library was selling off 22,000 LPs (all of them duplicates) for $1 each. Woot! Let's go to the Big Apple! I'm speaking of the golden age when I could stroll into any corner drugstore or shopping mall record shop and find the bins fully stocked with the newest vinyl platters. Plus the album cover art (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!) was often pretty cool, too. Sam Goody and Harmony Hut were my local franchise record stores. There may have been other stores, but I don't recall them by name. You might have had your favorites. Wikipedia says the 33⅓ rpm microgroove 12-inch vinyl record were first introduced by Columbia Records in 1948, and stereo came along ten years later. The biggest problem I had with the LPs was the easy-to-make scratch marks that pretty much ruined one. Also, the flimsy vinyl records often bent and cracked, at least in my hands they did. Mine disappeared in the various moves we made. Nowadays once in a while I'll see used LPs out for sale in the secondhand bookstores that also carry records. Sometimes at yard sales or at flea markets, I'll run across a milk crate of old LPs, and I'll feel a nostalgia pang. Maybe you can also get the LPs online off eBay or Craigslist. Do I miss LPs? Sure do, and I also keep the fonder memories of when I played them to death. Ah, youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.