Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Selling Off the "Stuff" of Our Lives at the Pawn Shop

I sometimes enjoy watching the Reality TV show PAWN STARS on the cable History Channel. There have been spinoffs made of it, but none of those to my knowledge took off like PAWN STARS did. I've never had the need or desire to patronize a pawn shop, so I have no basis of comparison to make the call how close it comes to the real deal. What amazes me is the variety of "stuff" the folks bring in to sell Rick who runs the pawn shop.

Some of it is pretty near worthless, and he turns it down. If he can't sell it for a decent enough profit, he passes on making an offer. Makes sense. It is (or is supposed to be) his livelihood, after all. A lot of the sellers walking out with cash in hand make a beeline for indulging their fun at the lit up Las Vegas Strip.

Of course the folks have Craigslist and eBay available to sell off their stuff, but I guess if you are in Vegas, you want the cash then and there. One of the articles brought in for sale is old photographs. I mean the traditional type on paper, not the digital files you can't view with the naked eye.

I sometimes wonder just who looks at the infinite number of pictures taken with a camera. Just the same, if I ever get out to Vegas, I'm going to take a bunch of pictures just because I can, and I'm going to make it a point to drop by Rick's pawn shop if it is still operating there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.