Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Blackfish: A Revealing Documentary on Orca Killer Whales

Back in 1976 I paid to see a show at the Sea World facility in Orlando, FL, and later in the mid-1980s I saw another show while I was vacationing in San Diego. I found them to be entertaining and fun outings. Then I saw the documentary Blackfish broadcasted on CNN. The tragic deaths of the orca "killer" whales' trainers are heartbreaking enough, but the captivity of the orcas trapped in their small concrete pools is also troubling. It made a lot of sense to me when the experts gave their side on why it is cruel to keep the orcas like they are now. Is there a better way? I don't know, but if there is I hope it is found soon. Sea World didn't grant any interviews for the movie. I'm not going to pick up my protest sign and picket Sea World, nor join a protest group. The next time I'm in a city where there is a Sea World, I believe I'll be looking elsewhere to spend my entertainment dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.