Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Does Anybody Use a Rolodex Anymore?

Use a what? I always got a Rolodex mixed up with a Rolex. The Rolodex was that big rolling index (Rolodex is the combination of the two words) of cards often seen on business desktops. The last one I remember seeing sat on our realtor's desktop. She must've considered her Rolodex essential for the line of work she was in. They held up to 6,000 cards, so a user had that many contacts they could stuff into one of the contraptions. But then the digital age hit us, and I wonder if the Rolodex was rendered obsolete. It would be difficult to carry one as opposed to a Blackberry (it it becoming obsolete?) or a smart phone. There is also Google to look up names and contact information. Or LinkedIn, if you like it. One thing strikes me is a that Rolodex would never get infected by a computer virus. I run my anti-virus software at least once a day. Arnold Neustadter, an inventor from Brooklyn, developed the Rolodex first sold in 1958. Their prices climbed to a rather steep price of $200, and I can remember seeing them on the store shelves during the 1980s. I never had the need for one. Mr. Neustadter died on April 17, 1996, so he didn't live to see the social networks flourish to do what his wonderful invention once did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.