Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

What I Do Offline to Recharge

I remember one time many years ago taking a time management course at work, and I applied the suggested techniques to become more efficient for about a day. There were just so many different things to do all at once that I didn't have the time to prioritize my tasks. I was running around from putting out one fire to putting out the next fire blazing up. Writing long fiction is sort of like that mode. There is alway one more thing to check when I'm editing a novel manuscript like I am doing right now. One thing I stand firm on, however. At the day's end, I flip an internal switch, and I absolutely refuse to think anymore about the novel. It will be there for me tomorrow. And I have the confidence I will recognize what problems I need to fix. That is how I recharge. I refuse to have anything else to do with my current novel once I turn off my laptop, or I put down my ink pen. I might jot down a note if I get a stray thought. I know I need to chill out, and that is the only way I know how to work. Of course, if I'm on deadline all that goes out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.