Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Movie Review: Gravity Starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock

Since there has been a lot of positive buzz generated about the current 3D space thriller Gravity, I decided to check it out. I have to say I came away less than enthusiastic. It is a stunningly visual treat and exciting to watch, for certain. The yarn about a pair of astronauts surviving a disaster while aboard the Space Shuttle is a gripping one. I kept thinking of David Bowie singing the lyrics to "Space Oddity." Therein lies the problem for me. The whole space adventure is highly improbable. But if you can let go of your disbelief, it's suspenseful fun for taking the ride. George Clooney, 52, seems a little long in the tooth for being an astronaut, but then I don't follow NASA news stories, so I could be wrong. Sandra Bullock gives the story some depth and empathy. It's difficult to discuss the plot without playing spoiler, so I won't. Gravity grabbed a bunch of 4-star reviews, but I'd go with a solid 3-star rating instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.