Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

My October Reads

The Rare Coin Score by Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake). I love these hardboiled Parker entries. This time he decides to heist a rare coin convention, and of course nothing goes according to plan.

Robert Mitchum: "Baby, I Don't Care" by Lee Server. Definitive biography on the film star. The line quoted in the title comes from his classic film noir Out of the Past with Jane Greer.

Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello. Everything you wanted to know about the famous movie. Lots of inside stories almost as interesting as the movie itself.

Call for the Dead by John le Carré. His first novel and introduces the spy George Smiley. Great characterization.

Ironweed by William Kennedy. Literary novel that reads like a classic noir to me.

The African Queen by C. S. Forester. The movie is different from the book which I enjoyed reading.
A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean. More of a fine literary novel but a crime does occur in a key place.

Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith. YA novel that stands up at my rereading it 45 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.