Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Phillip Marlowe Returns to Network TV: Good or Bad?

ABC has signed on an untitled Phillip Marlowe project from Castle series creator Andrew Marlowe (no relation ;-) and producer Michael De Luca (Fifty Shades of Grey). ABC says the project will be "a smart, sexy and stylish update of Chandler’s character." Does that leave you feeling a bit nervous like I am? Why can't Hollywood leave the classic noir and hardboiled literature alone? On the other hand, it would be refreshing to see another network TV private detective series take hold and thrive. Magnum, P.I. (1980-8), anybody? Then Stacy Keach played P.I. Mike Hammer from 1984-9 which I only viewed a few times. I'll always think of Phillip Marlowe as more of a big screen than TV presence. Humphrey Bogart, Robert Mitchum, James Garner, and Elliot Gould are among those movie stars who have played him. Mitchum closely followed by Bogart are the best of the bunch for my money. So, it's wait and see if ABC can pull it off with their Marlowe rendition. I sure hope they can do it.

Link to the article that appears in Deadline:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/phili...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.