Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Tuesday's Overlooked Films: This Gun For Hire Starring Alan Ladd

This choice 1942 film noir stars Veronica Lake, Robert Preston, Laird Cregar, and Alan Ladd. But Ladd's superb performance as the laconic hired killer (hit man) Raven with a soft side for cats and gorgeous ladies is the movie's gold. Alan Ladd is an exceptional actor in his pictures I've recently watched. The film noir is based on the novel A Gun for Sale by Graham Greene which I have not read yet, but I will now. Laird Cregar double crosses Raven, a big mistake on his part. Never betray a hit man unless you know for sure he's not going to be around to even the score. Great scenes are shot inside the gritty switchyard and gas works. I noticed in one scene early on between Lake and Preston a carton of Chesterfield cigarettes plainly out in view. The World War II motif plays well throughout the picture. IMDb.com viewers rate This Gun For Hire as 7.5/10.0, but I go higher with a solid 8.5. I really liked watching this film from start to finish. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.