Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sending and Receiving Postcards: Passe Now?

I cannot remember the last time I either received or sent out an honest-to-goodness postcard. You know the typical message scrawled on one: "Having a great time! Wish you were here!" Are postcards sold anymore at the tourist traps and vacation spots? I visited a couple of historic homes over the summer, and I don't believe the gift shops offered postcards for sale. Perhaps the cost of postage has been a contributing factor in the decline of postcards' popularity. How much is the postage cost now on a postcard? It used to be less than a postage stamp for sending a letter. Or is it just easier to send a text/email and a photo/video with it? The digital age has made our world a lot smaller, and the postcard has become an obsolete if not quaint relic of the recent past. The post office that stands to make something on postcards' delivery might not agree with the assessment. Plus which, it's kind of cool to find something in my land mail besides the bills and junk mail. Many days now I make a beeline straight from the mailbox to the recycle bin. I'm going to make it a point to be on the lookout for any postcards for sale that I may run across, and I'll report back here in a blog post if I ever do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. I will read it and respond soon.